Sunday, March 06, 2005

LIFE AFTER ALL

About two and a half years ago, my friend Todd Mincks and I started writing and performing music as the acoustic duo "Brother Wiley." It was just two guys, two guitars, three chords (quite literally), and the truth (sorta). With the friendly help of Beth and Mike at Well Fed Head Books, and proprietors of a few other local establishments, we started playing for whoever would listen. Some people said they liked our music. And they weren't even drunk. A few months later we made a homemade recording of our songs. It was pretty good for a 24-hour recording session on cheap, crude software; but as the songs evolved and we wrote new stuff, Todd and I developed the urge to create something more substantial.

Some months ago we started working on a studio CD tentatively entitled, "Life After All." Performing now as "Mincks and Miller" (We got tired of explaining the name--it had something to do with a road trip to Colorado, a trucker, and Jesus--and having people named Wiley asking us if we were kin.), we enlisted the recording help of our good friend, Mark Bilyeu. As a singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, and indie record company executive, Mark has few equals. Best known for his work with Big Smith, Mark's soon-to-be-released self-produced solo CD is going to blow people away. So, we're in good hands.

Since we probably won't finish the album until late spring/early summer, I thought I would occasionally fill you in on our progress.


Dog is his co-pilot: JB 

After laying down the percussion tracks with drummer, Kenny Wirt, we gathered in the woods a few weeks ago for some bass and acoustic guitar work. Mark and Jonathan Bentley had just finished a marathon session for JB's new disc (watch for it), and Jonathan was kind enough to allow us to use his cabin.

I didn't have much to do that day, since my contribution as an instrumentalist is an occasional splinky-splink on the rhythm guitar and the mournful train whistle, so I took some photos.


Todd's Elvis entrance: I'd like to thank each and every one of you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you...


King Midas at work: Mark Bilyeu 


I sound just like Jackson Browne...I'm serious 


What's it? Who's it? Aren't we? 


My Wingman 


Bass-slappin' Liz 

MayApple Records exec and Mark's bride-to-be, Liz Lairmore, came by to see her honey. Liz is becoming quite the upright bass player (I mean, the bass is upright. I guess Liz is upright too...in a scoundrely sorta way.); and while she was there, Todd showed her a few licks on the bass geetar.

Things are going well. The album will probably end up with 12 tracks (we figure, 12 disciples, 12 steps...huh? huh?). A few of them will be new versions of songs on the original Bro. Wiley disc. We are pleased with the content of the songs, and Mark is making us sound so good, our mommas will cry. We're expecting several other talented friends to sit in over the next several weeks, and make the sound even better.

Stay tuned for updates. When we finish some tracks, we'll make them available for online listening.

3 comments:

middleclasstool said...

Wonderful! Keep me updated. I'm all a-twitter with anticipation.

Anonymous said...

I do sound like Jackson Browne....I'm serious. Nice photos, particularly the one where Bilyeu is sprouting wings out of his skull. Isn't that a scene from that GREAT new movie, "Constantine?"

Anonymous said...

I look forward to hearing the new disc, that's for sure. It's one sure way to feel close beyond the miles.