Tuesday, September 20, 2005

THIS BLOG, IT IS A'CHANGIN'

But not much.

I'm not planning a big redesign. Mainly 'cause I don't know how...and don't really care.

However, there are some issues to address. Traffic has picked up quite a bit, but - with the exception of the more controversial topics - comments are holding steady or dropping off. This leads me to believe that there are numerous "lurkers" who, for whatever reason, don't feel comfortable jumping into the conversation. If you don't want to speak up, that's fine; but I don't want anyone to feel like what they have to say isn't appreciated. So, let me propose these guidelines for users:

1. If you have something to say, say it. Contrary to what some have assumed, you do not have to have a Blogger account to leave a comment; although I recommend it. Entering the blogosphere brings certain spiritual, financial, and physical rewards (I'm getting rich...and you should see my abs).

2. You can choose to name yourself in the comments section, or you can remain anonymous. Makes no difference to me, but it is easier for people to engage your ideas if you put a name to it. If you don't want to use your real name, make one up. I think "Biscuit" would be a cute name for someone...or "Cheryl."

3. Try to limit your comments to a brief paragraph or two, Biscuit. I don't know this for sure, but my sense is that the novel-length comments work to discourage the less verbose. If you have more to say on a topic, that's a good sign that you need to start your own blog. You can leave a link to your site in the comments section, and we'll go read what you have to say.

4. You will notice that I have started using a word-recognition security step for comment postings. That has nothing to do with you, it's designed to filter out spammers (scourge of the planet).

5. In case you didn't pick up on this recently, abusive attacks on me or others won't be tolerated. I am completely accepting of strongly-worded disagreements mixing up a cocktail of truth. I even support those who hope to muscle everyone into their perspective (if they can pull it off, more power to them). However, angry profanity-laden screeds will generally be removed.

6. If you have a personal message for me, send it to my email (thereacher [at] sbcglobal.net). The comments section works best if we are all engaging the content of the post, or the other comments.

Of course, you have the right to ignore my patriarchal ramblings; but, then, I have the right to put a boot in your rhetorical pooper.

One of the reasons I started this blog was to encourage dialogue. If you have ideas of how I can do more to improve things, no matter how absurd, let me know. Perhaps I'll present an award for the best idea (even though I'm pretty sure Biscuit will win).

19 comments:

middleclasstool said...

You can have a Blogger account without setting up a blog. If you do, you can delete your comments. It's a good option to have if things get a bit het up.

There's not really much to discuss here, so I'll just say thanks for this place, and thanks for your friendship.

Molly Bandit said...

sorry I've been a stranger the past month or so. School just started back, and I'm taking 18 hours, which didn't seem all that bad as I was signing up for them. I'm trying to play catch-up with my favorite bloggers, so just wanted to stop by and say hey.

Anonymous said...

rhetorical pooper...

He he he!

I have so missed blogging. When shall I have time to do it again?

Soon.

The Nightwatchman said...

Desperate for comments are we Reacher?

Anonymous Scout said...

Here are some tips:
1) Don't ever write your e-mail address on a web page. Encode it in a graphic or say thereacher (at) sbcglobal.net or else the spambots will come and eat your e-mail account alive, if they haven't already. You will get lots of offers to buy gold and have "herbal treatments."

2) As the popularity of your blog grows a fewer percentage of people will leave comments. On most popular blogs only 1% of the visitors leave comments. I learned this at a class on blogging.

3) Blogger doesn't really do it well, but you might look into something called a trackback feature. This allows people to post long comments on their own blog and your blog would then provide a link to theirs.

This last one is a question. Have you really been attacked personally because of your posts? Has somebody come to your door or insulted your children or something?

The Nightwatchman said...

The Reacharound attacked me personally on my blog. He did so by among other things, insulting my intelligence (" it was just that your awkward handling of the word suggested an unfamiliarity with polysyllabic utterances") and by swearing at me on my blog ("listen dumbshit") finally he wrongly claimed that my blog has no readers ("Now that I've looked around and discovered that no one is reading this blog except you, me, and three other people, I'm going to go spend my ten dollar words elsewhere.")little did I know he begs people to comment on his LOL!! Check out my Sept 11, 2005 post for Reacharound's nasty comments. www.mosesaton.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You're right, Moses. I got carried away defending someone who was unfairly attacked. I'm sorry.

The Nightwatchman said...

It's ok Reacher, I read your points and discussed with some of the other readers and I see your point, although I still think her article was irresponsible, in the ecumenical spirit of us enlightened liberal religious folks, I invite you to visit blogrophenia again, and please continue to comment: www.mosesaton.blogspot.com

The Nightwatchman said...

AND you're a fellow Dylan fan obviously!

Anonymous said...

"You always said people don't do what they believe in; they just do what's most convenient, then they repent. I always said, 'Hold on to me baby and hope the roof stays on'."

"Brownsville Girl" Knocked Out Loaded

Thanks for the forgiveness.

Anonymous said...

It's good, Bobby. Branson good.

RDW said...

Since the topic this time around is "discussion" itself, I now have an opportunity for a plug!

I gather most of the people who read this enjoy a hearty dialogue, so I'm going to invite all of you to do it in person. Plus we're going to offer you free refreshments? (Try that Reacher) :)

Every other week my wife and some friends and I hold a discussion group called "Socrates Cafe" at the Radish Infoshop. That's a little bookstore on Boonville just two blocks north of the Square in Springfield, MO. This week the topic is "Is there harmony in diversity?" with a special emphasis on Free Speech vs. Hate Speech. It's this Saturday (9/24)at 6:30 pm and it's free.

Please e-mail me if you're interested: daveed717[at]yahoo.com.

By the way... didn't mean to belittle the Reacher. Thanks very much for a lot of good, thoughtful comments on life and society. They inspire me greatly. I promise I will add more constructive comments in the near future. Live long and prosper.

-The Coreman

RDW said...

I don't know why there was a question mark after "free refreshments" It's supposed to be an exclamation point. There will definitely be free refreshments!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the good discussion and suggestions so far. I'll be naming the winner of the big sloppy cyber-kiss shortly. (Come on, Biscuit, your chances are running out.)

By the way, Coreman, I'll try to make it to your discussion if I can get a bus ride from my home in Somewhere Midwest to your charming hamlet.

Anonymous said...

I truly need serious help. I'd happily be a little less good looking if I could be a bit more computer savvy. (There's blogging classes???) I've made so many witty little comments the past couple of days but can't seem to figure out how to work the new fangled security measures. Reacher even tried to help via email but kept drifting off topic. Now I have a live person here to hold my little mouse hand and help me click in the appropriate, required spaces but I'm so frustrated at this point that my clever verbosity is completely decimated.

Maybe this one will work.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

There we go. Always was a kinesthetic learner.

So. What were we talking about?

middleclasstool said...

I'll tell you what this place needs.

...

More cowbell.

Anonymous said...

Easy, Tool... I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.
Bruce Dickinson

Anonymous said...

Okay, here are the nominations for Idea Award:

1. Opening a Blogger account so you can delete your comments. (Tool)
2. Check in from time to time. (Alexis)
3. Don't type out email addresses. (C_neil)
4. Use the trackback feature. (C_neil)
5. We reap what we sow. (Moses)
6. Impersonate Hank Hill. (Jen M.)
7. In-the-flesh discussions. (Coreman)
8. Free refreshments. (Coreman)
9. Let someone smarter than you hold your hand. (Sister)
10. More cowbell. (Tool)

And the winner is...

Just by playing you've all become winners.

Come on...group hug.