Thursday, February 16, 2006

CONFIRMATION

So. You turned 13.

I was in the process of writing an essay about my first hunting experience that happened when I turned 13. I thought it was timely, what with the Vice President shooting a guy like I almost did in 1977. But that's a story for another day.

I was thinking about turning 13 and the whole notion of coming of age, and I couldn't get my mind off of you. Before my very eyes you have become a young woman. When I see you, when I think about you, it shatters me. You devastate me with your beauty and paralyze me with fear. You are a mystery that is daily unfolding, then refolding, then surprising me with a whole new angle. Pubescent origami.

I remember that as a baby, and then as a toddler, you were bald. People thought you were a boy, even when you were festooned with pink frilly things. You were hard to figure out even then.

As soon as you could speak and hold on to an opinion, you expressed your disappointment that you had not been born black.

I remember the moment the U.S. women's soccer team won the 1999 World Cup. Brandi Chastain ripped off her jersey as a group of us erupted in cheers. You retreated to the corner with your arms crossed and a sour expression on your face.

"What's wrong, honey?" I asked.

You turned your defiant little six-year-old face toward me and said, "I'm mad. I wanted China to win."

I told that story to my university hosts in China a few years later. They are probably still talking about you.

"You come back next year and bring Daughter Number Two with you!" declared Mr. Mu triumphantly.

Your kindergarten teacher said that if she were planning a party she would most definitely invite you.

I remember the times you join me for a walk around the neighborhood, and you can't stop talking. Then, sometimes you join me for a walk or a ride in the car and we can be together for long periods of time with comfortable silence resting between us.

I love watching you grow from a baby to the person dozens of adults turn to first to care for their babies. Little kids look at you like you're Willy Wonka and they just found the golden ticket.

I love your strong will. It often manifests itself in protests against the daily required piano practicing, but all I can really hear is the way you make me feel when you lose yourself in music.

I love how you love innocence. Children and old people. Anyone who might be considered vulnerable. You have always favored the underdog, the least of these. You despise injustice like a Hebrew prophet.

I love that you love the presence of your friends, but how you can be absolutely content in solitude.

I love how adults who know you get a certain glimmer in their eyes when they talk about you. You seem to bring out the mischievous impulse in everyone. They know you are an outlaw...in the best kind of way. You evoke a yearning in them. They sense that you will have the courage to say and do things they would never dream of. That's the part that scares me. It fills me with pride and frightens me at the same time. That's what I love about you.

If we were Jewish, you would have a bat-mitzvah (Actually, I think bar-mitzvahs are at 13 and bat-mitzvahs are actually at 12.). Instead, the only tangible sign of your age is a confirmation class at church, where you are learning from a fantastic woman pastor how to come at God from an uncommon perspective.

You are confirming who you are in the world and what you believe. At this moment and in this space I also confirm something: I cannot imagine my life without you.

I know there are times you would rather not have me around. You're 13. I get that. But I remember what you used to say to me when you were three or four: "Go away in the house." You didn't want me in your face, but you needed me nearby.

Well, dear, I will try to give you the space to become a woman. May you grow into everything God has dreamed for you. May you learn to love foolishly and fight recklessly. May all that passion and ferocity and mischief in you ignite holy fires. May there always be evidence that you were in the area.

Okay. I'm going to go away now and leave you alone.

But I will always be right here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Reacher. And happy birthday to your not-so-little girl.

skipstokes said...

I don't know how to yawp or woo-hoo in text! But if I did, I'd do it here.

That is wonderful!

This post is and will always be both inspirational and amazing.

thank you, thank you.

Wow. I don't know what to say.

bl said...

So when you sing Happy Birthday to your daughter, make sure to put some soul in it for your daughter and do the chorus of the Stevie Wonder version.

Chorus
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday
(4x)
(Background Stevie)
Happy birthday Ooh yeah
Happy birthday,
To you

Anonymous said...

My precious, irresistable, well-grounded, unbelievably funny and insightful girl. What a jewel!

Undoubtedly, MY best birthday ever was turning 32--the day of her birth. (Rats! If you know how to add my age then and her age now, you know how old I am)!!

Oh, and Reacher (aka DAD), you'll be happy to know in a recent conversation concerning weddings, she expressed a desire for a very simple affair. Preferably on the beach or in a beautiful park, with the bride in blue jeans and flip-flops. That ought to save you some change...

RDW said...

Sounds good to me, but don't get your hopes too high, Reacher...

When my wife was in her mid-teens she told her friends that her wedding attire would be all cords and berks.

Now imagine the exact opposite of that on the money scale, and that is the wedding that actually happened. (Can you say white tablecloth dinner for 150?)

But don't worry... I'm sure it won't happen to you :-)

Brandon said...

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I am near tears.

I yearn to be a father. I am terrified to be a father. I am a child myself, a 32-year old child--what do I know about raising children?

I have these ideas that bounce between crafting a child to my own standard of perfection and letting thier own personality shine despite all my protestations. But they are just ideas--for now. I have a feeling the day I say, "Happy 13th birthday" will sneak up on me like a jungle cat.

I'll probebly still wonder what I know about raising children...but may find they've raised me.

Anonymous said...

P.S.
Reacher - Strong, confident, unique women often get that way through the "hold on loosely" love of great dads. Good job.

Coreman - shhhhh - let him live with disillusion for just a little while!

Brandon - you may not have OTJ experience yet but you nailed it. It IS a constant vacillation between what you want and who they are, and it DOES all sneak up on you, and you never do REALLY know much about raising children (until they're about 25 and then you exactly how you should have done things when they were 3).

Anonymous said...

I love the Miller family. I love you guys in all your individual coolness but mostly for what you are as a unit.

Happy Birthday, ol' Carson. You make me want to have 82 daughters, all different versions of you and your sister.

Here's to being 13. We feel lucky to live next to a cool tennager like you.

P.S. That Willy Wonka stuff your dad wrote is true. Collin can vouch for your golden ticket aura.

Love,
Your fans next door

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.
Wipe a tear from my eye, beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've let this go on for a day or so. Bring on the Dick Cheney references!! ;-)

Beloved said...

I want to hear a comment from the woman of the hour... does she blog? Probably Xanga or MySpace, right? Blogger is for oldies, like us, eh?

Dude, i'd be terrified if one of my parents wrote a loveletter like this to me and posted it online... but i'd probably be even more thrilled!

Love rocks.

Thanks for brightening my dark day.

Anonymous said...

She does not blog. Hardly reads this one. So, it's unlikely you're going to hear from her.

I, however, got a kiss on the cheek when I dropped her off at school this morning. Speak of brightening a day...

Jody Bilyeu said...

Thanks for your continuing example of how to love your kids. The world is going to be okay, I'm tempted to think, if there's still enough love in it to produce such lovelies.