Saturday, February 02, 2008

SI SE PUEDE

This video directed by Jesse Dylan, Bob's son.



The first president I voted for was Reagan in 1984. By the end of that decade and into the next, I became disillusioned with the militant triumphalism that marginalized the weak for the sake of the powerful. I went from skeptic to supporter during the Clinton years, but I couldn't shake my concerns about dishonesty and the politics of division. The last seven years of malice, incompetence and Rove-ian tactics have driven me to despair. I have voted against Bush, but never really felt like I had something to vote for. Until now.

I am drawn to Barack Obama's words of hope and what author Toni Morrison calls his "searing vision." Some say we need more than words. Of course we do, but words matter. When words draw millions of people of every background together in a common belief, they matter. When words highlight "us" and "we" rather than "I" and "me," they matter. Obama's words move us beyond a candidacy and into a movement.


The cynics who prey on our fears ask us to dance with the devils we know. They tell us we can't change things through faith and hope. Our answer: "Yes we can."


DO SOMETHING TO HELP.

VOTE.

7 comments:

bl said...

I woke up to the news that Obama won Missouri. Amazing.

I hope this gets spun well. It's exciting.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too...makes me wonder if Reacher can account for his middle of the night whereabouts? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Here's what will.i.am said about making the Yes We Can video:

"And then came New Hampshire...

And i was captivated...

Inspired...

I reflected on my life...
and the blessings I have...
and the people who fought for me to have these rights and blessings...

and I’m not talking about a "black thing"
I’m talking about a "human thing" me as a "person"
an American...

That speech made me think of Martin Luther King...
Kennedy...
and Lincoln...
and all the others that have fought for what we have today...

what America is "supposed" to be...

freedom...
equality...
and truth...

and thats not what we have today...
we think we are free...
but in reality terror and fear controls our decisions...

this is not the America that our pioneers and leaders fought and
died for...

and then there was New Hampshire

it was that speech...
like many great speeches...
that one moved me...
because words and ideas are powerful...

It made me think...
and realize that today we have "very few" leaders...
maybe none...

but that speech...

it inspired me...
it inspired me to look inside myself and outwards towards the world...
it inspired me to want to change myself to better the world...
and take a "leap" towards change...
and hope that others become inspired to do the same...
change themselves..
change their greed...
change their fears...
and if we "change that"
"then hey"..
we got something right..."

You can read his comments in their entirety at http://www.dipdive.com/

Anonymous said...

ps - your you tube link for this song doesn't work anymore

Anonymous said...

Maybe YOUR tube doesn't work anymore.

Anonymous said...

damn tube.

Earlier today it told me it was no longer available. Really. Honest. And I wasn't even having one of those, ahem, "moments." wink-wink.

Anonymous said...

I didn't go get a new embed code and reinstall it. Really. I didn't.