Friday, March 28, 2008

GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK

So, I think I'm done.

It's been an interesting ride. I have found this blog to be a cathartic outlet at times, a surrogate community at others. But lately, it has been little more than a drive-by shooting.

Maybe the blogosphere hasn't changed and I have. Maybe if I posted frequently and engaged the process responsibly we could recreate a meaningful community. Maybe I'll bring it back at some point. But for now I'm done. Blogging seems to do little more than bring out the worst people and the worst side of good people. It wears on my soul.

I have trimmed my reading of online exchanges of all kind these days, because it seems that little goes on there beyond narcissistic yawping. Who cares about anything or anyone anymore? We just want to BE HEARD. As a meaningful alternative to journalism I think blogging has mostly failed.

I will leave this up for a while, but I am disabling comments. After a time I will set this blog to be accessible only to invited readers, and I will not be inviting anyone. I may bring it back some day, so I don't want to delete it altogether. Those of you that know me can email me.

To those of you who pushed and have been pushed in our dialogue, I wish you well. To those of you who get your rocks off dumping on people, then running away into anonymous safety...I don't really have anything to say to you.

Except...goodnight, and good luck.

No comments: