Monday, June 27, 2005

DOES JESUS NEED ACCREDITATION?

Until recently, I served on the accreditation steering committee at the evangelical university where I teach. My responsibility was to help evaluate the organization’s mission and integrity. I resigned from the committee when it became apparent that some in the administration did not desire authentic self-evaluation, and were only interested in accreditation as a marketing device. When I raised questions about an exclusive board of trustees that was entirely appointed by a statewide religious organization, a religion professor who was denied a promotion because of his liberal theology, and our profound lack of racial and ethnic diversity on campus, I was treated like an agitator who was provoking insurrection. It seemed like I was being expected to toe the company line, so I quit.

So, imagine my interest in the recent New Yorker article,
by Hanna Rosin, in which she profiles Patrick Henry College, a fundamentalist Christian school just outside the beltway in Virginia. PHC’s declared mission includes the aim “to prepare Christian men and women who will lead our nation and shape our culture with timeless biblical values and fidelity to the spirit of the American founding.” Not terribly far removed from the mission of numerous Christian colleges. The difference is that PHC is blatantly designed as an incubator for conservative politicos. While the faculty members are well-pedigreed and the students are very smart (many boasting a 1600 on the SAT), the school is heavily endowed by Republican leaders and conservative CEOs who have a vested interest in shaping the country’s ideology. There seems to be a greased conduit from PHC to Capitol Hill and the White House, with Patrick Henry scoring as many internships annually as Georgetown.

Nearly all the students were homeschooled, and come to the college with an evangelical zeal for spreading the fundamentalist gospel of/and conservative Republican ideology. They (or, at least their parents) are also drawn to the extremely rigid moral guidelines and the courtship environment, where romantic relationships are regulated under the watchful eyes of administrators and parents. Students even rebuke each other through campuswide emails for inappropriate displays of affection, or for women tempting their brothers with suggestive attire.

There are only five majors available: government, journalism, literature, history, and classical liberal arts education. The literature major draws mostly women students, who nearly all report that they will not pursue a career, so they can stay home and school their children.

While I would rather play a game of Naked Twister with Karl Rove than send my daughters to such a place, I have no problem with them doing what they do. They have the right to pursue their ideological agenda however they please. What interests me is the manner in which we certify such practices.

What Rosin does not discuss in the article is the problems PHC has had with accreditation. They were denied accreditation by the American Academy for Liberal Education (AALE) based on a biology curriculum that highlights the teaching of six-day creationism (not accepted by the National Academy of Sciences). After breaking ties with the AALE, they finally received accreditation from the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, that has certified only about 35 other ultra-conservative institutions. PHC is currently pursuing an application with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), a regional sister to the accrediting body for my university.

If SACS grants them accreditation, it will either mean that PHC has moved away from its militant commitment to a single-minded ideology, or SACS is not fulfilling its declared criteria. Either way, it raises this question: What is the value of accreditation?

If you possess “the truth,” and you are convinced that all your aims are righteous, why would you give a damn about accreditation? I recognize that there are state laws and federal guidelines requiring it, if you accept any kind of support from the government; but it seems like PHC would be quite opposed to any kind of governmental support.

I guess my question concerns the difference between accreditation as compliance/marketing device, and accreditation as communitarian accountability. Receiving accreditation means that your peers at similar universities deem you worthy of certification. If your worldview is so contrary and libertine that you resist any oversight or approval from others, why bother? I suspect that the "more Protestant" an institution, the more reticent it will be to peer-evaluation.

I mean, is it any wonder that those who struggle with accreditation are probably more likely to accuse Democrats of seeking global approval for military acts? By not easily submitting yourself to the review of your academic peers, aren’t you less likely to submit to the will of a body like the U.N.? I don’t think John Bolton is on PHC’s board, but he might be a nice fit.

I am not entirely naïve. I know there are liberal colleges out there doing much the same thing. There are left wing schools where a conservative idea is treated as de facto heresy, and I do not defend them. I find that a repugnant response to the Right. However, in most cases, left-leaning schools demonstrate a greater interest in dialogue and community, where the voice of the minority is structurally—if not always culturally—protected.

So, if Jesus had started a university (perhaps “Fishers of Men Tech”), would he have applied for accreditation. Probably not. And, I suppose, when a faculty and administration reach his level of infallibility they probably don’t need to worry about it either.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this all very, very sad. If I weren't so emotionally involved, I might have more to say. -- Jennifer

Anonymous said...

You mean you aren't an agitator provoking insurrection. You had me fooled. - BL

middleclasstool said...

Thus are the seeds of fascism planted in fertile ground.

Am I being overdramatic? I certainly hope so. But seriously, this smells like our answer to the Hitlerjugend.

Unknown said...

Here's what I got from that post: An agitator playing naked twister with Karl Rove. Thanks for the mental image.

One question: Why would Jesus have not sought accreditation from his peers? He came to fulfill the Law which is the measuring rod of all Jewish thought. In fulfilling the Law, he exposed his superior authority to reinterpet the Law and, if anyone engaged in authentic self-evaluation in light of the Law, wouldn't they come to the conclusion that his teachings were the accurate representation of a judicial/religious system that had been twisted by humanity's narcissism and ethno-centrality?

Sorry, that was more than one question...

Okay, one more question: Is the school that blatantly graduates liberals or conservatives better or worse than the ones that silently "muscle out" the moderates?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I really don't just go around making comments and then deleting them. My computer was posting the comment forever, then when I hit it again, it had commented 2 extra times.

stupid computers.

Anonymous said...

You have a point about Jesus seeking accreditation. I guess, knowing how the process is more BS than authentic evaluation, I could see him circumventing (or transcending) the structure. It's a little hard to see someone seeking accreditation who says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life...." But, I have no problem with your argument on that point. Well said.

As to your last question, I don't have much patience for any brand of higher education that whines about bias to mask its inability to do the academic heavy lifting. I studied with a good number of people in undergraduate and graduate school who did not share my worldview. When confronted with a hostile perspective I chose to work hard and make my argument, rather than take my marbles and go home (or build my own academic fortress). So, my response is that both approaches are unfortunate. They both pervert higher education with differing degrees of honesty. What accreditation is supposed to do is ferret out the "muscling" and sanction the blatant partisanship.

I guess what I'm saying is that too often those who feel muscled out need to spend more energy building credibility than complaining. Nearly every time I get a super-righteous, hyper-religious student in class, they prove to be one of the lowest performers. They carry around a sense of entitlement that says, "My perspective is the way, the truth...." They miss more classes and more deadlines, etc. They might claim their performance is a result of bias; I would say they need to quit worrying about t-shirts, bumper stickers, and biblical proof-texting, and get their holy asses in gear.

For instance, if you think there is a naturalistic bias in the field of marine biology, become the best, brightest marine biologist around; then lay down some academic smack on your colleagues. You know what they'll say then? Hmmmm, we should think about this, because Dinkus here is, like, crazy smart.

Sorry, I think I strayed from your point. Hope that made sense.

Anonymous Scout said...

I think the accreditation problem has something to do with the Freemasons. One of the things that made Jesus special was because he was somehow able to completely transcend and ignore the net of control exerted by this ancient, free, and respected force.

Patrick Henry was a Freemason and so was Brigham Young, namesake to another closed minded, yet accredited, institution. Is your beloved evangelical institution somehow entangled in this web? God forbid!

Anonymous said...

Most of all this is real cornfusing to me. I don't think I am quite learned for this BUT!!!
I love, I love, I love this statement:
"Nearly every time I get a super-righteous, hyper-religious student in class, they prove to be one of the lowest performers. They carry around a sense of entitlement that says, "My perspective is the way, the truth...." They miss more classes and more deadlines, etc. They might claim their performance is a result of bias; I would say they need to quit worrying about t-shirts, bumper stickers, and biblical proof-texting, and get their holy asses in gear. "

Oh, and Twister anyone?

Beloved said...

I doubt Jesus would start a "school" to begin with, even if he did live in 21st century America. I don't think he would have a huge issue with accreditation, depending on the integrity (ah, that's key) of the accrediting body. I think Jesus would more likely start a cult. Lol.

Seriously, though. I think he'd be traveling around the country, spending a few months, maybe years, here and there, building friendships, gathering people together to learn, pray, worship and serve together in small, informal groups. And he'd teach them to do likewise. And somewhere down the line, someone would come up with the idea, "Hey, let's turn this movement into an organization... a governmental ruling of our ideology. That'll bring world peace."
Wait a second... that all happened about the 5th century (am I right on that?) with Constantine.

Well, needless to say, Reacher is on to something that has many people stirring these days. I am engaged in conversation after conversation with people who are disillusioned with religious "governments", whether it be a denominational body, or a national government such as our own. The fact is, 1776 marks the year that this nation separated itself from the authority of God it so purported. God established kings, not "of the people, by the people, for the people." sorry, it's a complex issue... but food for thought.

blessings.

Beloved said...

Oh, drat. i guess i was wrong about the whole world peace thing. Figures.