Tuesday, June 07, 2005

STUCK INSIDE A LANDFILL WITH THE STRANGER BLUES AGAIN

The worst part about home remodeling, besides paying for it, is hauling off the debris. There is a certain catharsis in taking a sledge hammer to plaster, and opening up future possibilities. You are making change, and it is dramatic. There’s nothing like the look on your family’s faces when they come home to find that the living room wall, whose existence they had come to assume, is now only a memory. But the task of cleanup isn’t nearly as romantic.

Some months ago, in the midst of our kitchen remodel job, I had a small demolition load that wasn’t quite large enough to warrant a trip to the dump; so I offered some trailer space to my neighbor, Allen. He took me up on it, and we headed off for one of the local landfill transfer stations.

The transfer station is the place trash stops before its final destination. It is the descending colon of the city’s solid waste system. The station I frequent is a loud, foul-smelling barn with a drainage problem and lots of pigeons. If there’s been any measurable precipitation, you can count on wading ankle deep in detritus. There is a rhythm and an unspoken protocol about the place.

  1. Pull on the scale.
  2. Wait for Hank, the sanitation worker with the sunny disposition, to look at you like you are an idiot.
  3. Register your weight, and wait for Hank’s coveted nod of approval to enter the abyss.
  4. Pull into the bowels of the place and unload quickly, while Hank and the guys in the big scary trucks look at you like you are an idiot.
  5. Somewhere in here make several attempts at backing a trailer, while veteran truck drivers scoff, and the incessant warning alarms from reversing front end loaders add to your anxiety.
  6. Drive around and have Hank weigh you again to determine your payment by how much lighter you are. Oh, yeah, while he's looking at you like you're an idiot.
  7. Speed away from the place with the windows down.
  8. Go home and take a China Syndrome shower.

My neighbor, Bill, taught me a nifty drag-off method that reduces time, effort, and disdainful looks from mean trash guys. You attach a chain to some big piece of debris, located near the bottom of the pile toward the front of the trailer. Hook the other end of the chain to the station’s wall, then pull away carefully. If you planned well, this method deposits the majority of your load on the station floor, allowing you a quicker getaway.

On this particular day, Allen and I executed a perfect drag-off, and were back in line for the scale to finish our business. In front of us was an obvious first-timer. He was an older gentleman driving an immaculate pickup, and pulling a questionable trailer full of tons of old house guts. He wore a cheery smile and his own personal hardhat. Hank was going to eat this guy alive.

I chatted with him while we waited. I discovered that he was in his late 70s and had recently undergone heart surgery. The load was from his son’s remodeling project, but he had needed the trailer, so he had offered to deliver it. I helped him navigate the weighing and paying method, all the while wondering how he was going to empty that trailer. I couldn’t let this heart patient suffer the risk to his health and the scorn of Hank, so after consulting with Allen, I offered our help.

He had rigged a drag-off design that managed to dislodge about 20 pounds of the load. The remaining mountain of wet plaster, lath, and insulation proved to be a stubborn burden. After a filthy, exhausting half-hour or so, Allen and I finally emptied the trailer and swept it clean. We turned to go, and the old man pulled out his wallet and started to hand me a five-dollar bill.

“No sir, I won’t take your money,” I said. “We’re all in this together.”

He pushed the money toward me, while his body began to shake in his attempt to choke back the tears. I just patted him on the shoulder and said, “You would do the same for me, if I needed it.” And I turned and walked away, I heard him stifle a sob. I didn’t want to cause him further loss of face, but I was not going to accept payment for doing the right thing.

I guess I turned and left quickly because of the shame. Not the shame he felt, as a man unable to deliver his own load, but the shame I felt for living in a culture where something like this could happen. Where the hell was this guy’s son? Where were his neighbors? Were they unavailable or unwilling? Were they unaware, because he had been too proud or naïve to ask for help?

What impacted me the most was the fact that we live in a society where sacrificial help provokes a grown man to tears. Allen and I didn’t feel like we had done anything heroic or extraordinary. But it was such an uncommon act it overwhelmed him.

Something is wrong. We can do better than this.

To paraphrase Dylan,

Oh, Mama, can this really be the end?
To be stuck inside a landfill
With the stranger blues again.

I’m not suggesting that we should all be imbued with a sense of entitlement, expecting everyone to solve our problems; but we have become so addicted to individualism and market-driven values that we have lost the capacity to accept grace. As a consequence, we dispense less of it as well.

Do you agree that part of our problem today is the inability to accept authentic grace (help, love, mercy…) when it’s offered? What can we do about it?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This all reminds me of the first anecdote from Mike O'Brien's column in last Sunday's News-Leader:
http://springfield.news-leader.com/columnists/obrien/index_new.shtml
It was about a woman who found herself a dollar short at the checkout register. A man in line behind her offered a dollar bill but she started to refuse him.
"No," the man insisted, "that's what life is supposed to be about — helping your neighbors."
After he convinced her to take the money and she walked off, he said something else a little louder. This is how Mike rounded out his telling of the story:
"Yessir," said the samaritan, this time speaking more loudly to onlookers, "that's what life is supposed to be about — helping your neighbors."
As she passed by the checkout stand where I waited, the young woman said, softly and sadly, to no one in particular: "That's sure not what my life has been about ..."

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to be anonymous there. I'm Brian Lewis, just not very handy with this blogger software.

Anonymous said...

Is there a chance what moved him to tears was being confronted with his own inability to do for himself? With the loss of independence that comes with age and heart problems?
There have been two times in my adult life when I've been unable for weeks or months at a time to do simple things like wash dishes or take out the trash. I was lucky enough to have friends who were more than happy to help however I needed them, and taking their help was not an issue for me -- but accepting that I couldn't take care of myself was incredibly difficult. I cannot adequately describe how much it sucks. And not because of pride, either. Accepting even what seems like a minor level of dependence on other people completely changes how you look at your life, how you see yourself. It kills so many possibilities.
Perhaps accepting grace means making your peace with every kind of weakness. We grow up hearing in church about humans being inherently weak when it comes to resisting the urge to sin or hurt each other, but physical weakness... that's a whole 'nother thing altogether. There's no system of confession and forgiveness, mourning and recovery, for that.

Anonymous said...

Right on, Mrs. Tool. You bring up a good point. I may have misinterpreted the situation, but the fact remains that we are ill-equipped to deal with our weaknesses. When our culture constantly reinforces that personal worth is based on production, unmerited favor overwhelms us.

There is an implicit hierarchy in our society that is based on utility. While nice people have helped me when I couldn't help myself, often there is still a sense that they are judging me, or diminishing me in some small way. That's when I swear an oath to myself, that when I regain my strength (including all my superpowers), I will dedicate my life to destroying them and their kind.

Anonymous said...

You're very right about that. How people go about offering their help makes all the difference in the world. My parents -- my aging parents with their aching backs and arthritis -- have a way of insisting that I not do things I'm perfectly capable of doing that drives me up the wall. But I've also experienced that condescension of sorts you're talking about. Neither of those strikes me as quite as bad, though, as what I might mistakenly be reading into that excerpt from Mike O'Brien's column -- the guy who does the good deed, and then makes sure everyone around him knows about it, regardless of how embarrassed that woman might have been.

Anonymous said...

Good words, Skip. Thanks for the mention on your blog.

By the way, feel free to be funny, even if it seems inappropriate.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to take the opportunity to brag for a second.

My dad has been a minister for 30-some years. His least favorite things to do are weddings and funerals. Not necessarily for the content, but for the desire to make things perfect so that the intimacy of the wedding can be sustained and the legacy of the deceased can be honored. However, his favorite things to do at those events are the "little things." He wants to be allowed to run the errands when the griever is incapable. He wants to run to get the flowers at 7 in the morning if that's what needs to be done for the day to be memorable. He spends hours poring over small details to make the eulogy personal and memorable and asks every family member for anecdotes to present during a ceremony. It's the personal touch that he gives his ceremonies that make them memorable, I think.

I know my father will never read this (or even know it's being written), but I just wanted people to know that there are servants out there who are honored to do the small things for "the least of these."

Thanks, reach, for making me remember that I've always wanted to be like my dad.

Anonymous said...

After church this morning, I was talking with Allen and Chris about poems about basketball.
I couldn't find it at that point, but after locating the page and re-reading it, it down seem to have quite a bit to do with this conversation about grace. It's called "Competition" and it's by Stephen Dunn.



Because he played games seriously
and there knew grace
comes hard, rises through the cheap

in us, the petty, the entire history
of our defeats,
he looked for grace in his opponents,

found a few friends that way
and so many others
he could never drink with, talk to.

He learned early never to let up,
never to give
a weaker opponent a gift

because so many times he'd been
that person
and knew the humiliation in it,

being pandered to, a bone for the sad
dog.
And because he remembered those times

after a loss when he'd failed
at grace-
stole from the victor

the pleasures of pure victory
by speaking
about a small injury or the cold

he wasn't quite over - he loved
those opponents
who'd shake hands and give credit,

save their true and bitter stories
for their lovers, later,
when all such lamentations are comic,

the sincere if onlys of grown men
in short pants.
Oh there were peope who thought

all of it so childish; what to say
to them, how to agree
ever, about dignity and fairness.

Anonymous said...

Just returned from four days in Madison, Wisconsin, where my brother-in-law is preparing to have brain surgery. More on that later.

Good comments about grace, dads, films, and poetry. Too tired to respond to all of them now, but thanks.

Beloved said...

i'd rather be around someone who's real than someone who's right.

Beloved said...

right on.