Monday, July 25, 2005

ON THE MEND

This is the latest in the story. My sister and brother-in-law just returned to Texas after the VA docs in Madison, Wisconsin removed parts of his frontal and temporal lobes.

Rick wanted to pass this on to all of you--

To the faithful readers of The Reach, from Reacher's bro-in-law: I simply must say that I appreciate being in your prayers while I was going through the whole head surgery thing. I kept a journal, as is my habit, while all this stuff was happening; but there was nothing I wrote that seemed exceptional, or that I would grasp better at a later time.

What I would like to say is that I am a disabled vet who was in on the end of the Vietnam War. I zigged when I should of zagged, going through a hatch. I got injured, started having seizures, and was discharged. My intention was to join the Navy out of high school, stay 20 years and retire at 37 with a pension. But things don't always go the way a guy plans or expects.

Such is life.

In a way things did go the way I planned....It has been 29 years since my injury. Each month I get a disability compensation check. I feel I should send every taxpayer in America a Christmas card. Were I working at just a job I can only imagine how I would be cared for.

Here's the update: I returned home yesterday. I have been seizure-free since the surgery, and when I have been so for a year I will be eligible for a driver's license. Being unable to drive is the most exasperating aspect of having seizures - and the most inconvenient. Fortunately, my wife and family hang in there. My self-esteem would not break any records, because I feel I have fallen short of any meaningful contribution due to the limits thrust on me. However, because of everybody's prayerful support I now see that things might quickly change. I appreciate y'all's prayers. Thank you. It is my belief that without them there is no hope.

I thank God for my Wonder Woman wife who has been by me the whole time. I believe that without her I would have soon become unfit to live with. And while I would not wish anybody to be injured I can only say head injuries are a strange, intense, and peculiar way to go from day to day. And this is especially true for the caregiver! It takes a special person to provide direct care to someone with a traumatic head injury. Thank you, Sister, for your aid and support. You are my superhero and I can't imagine a pedestal tall enough for you. Nor can I picture me without you.

Reacher Readers: I have been seizure free now since June 15th or so. Texas law requires one year seizure-free before a driver's test can be repeated. That is my first goal. My year is getting shorter all the time. And a restorable '74 Ford Thunderbird or a '67 Mustang is my second. It is even possible I could get back in the classroom.

Reacher: Thanks for being in Wisconsin with us. Our chat on the bank of the lake was great. And it was something out of the routine that my days were quickly becoming. In the event I appeared calm, truth was I was scared. I can't say it any other way. The two stronget feelings I experienced were fear and uncertainty. Yours and everybody else's prayers brought me comfort and gave me the stamina to get through another day.

We're all glad to hear it, Rick. It sure is nice to know you'll be with us a while longer. Here's to your health, and may you refuse to give up the fedora, even after the ugly scar heals.

And let me say this about my big sister. Rick's right, she is a superhero. But, her heroics don't come without a cost. She does the heavy lifting like a caped crusader, and she walks through fire for those she loves; but she gets tired and burned, and most of us don't see it. May you heal as well, Sis. And may you rest.

5 comments:

middleclasstool said...

Thank God. Here's to more peaceful days for you and yours, Rick.

Anonymous said...

He writes: "I feel I have fallen short of any meaningful contribution due to the limits thrust on me. "

From my distant vantage point, I have to disagree. If memory serves, the song is called "Shaken, not broken." And sometimes, not being broken is a hell of a contribution in itself.

Beloved said...

It's definitely more than I've had to show for my self at times--under much better circumstances than yours. People like you inspire the self-centered, spoiled brats like us... well, like me at least.

middleclasstool said...

No, I'll second that. Makes you think twice about complaining about the insignificant troubles of your own life.

Anonymous said...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-Haw! I love reading news like that. Yes, it is a touching thing to read such humble words from a man like this but it is also just plain exciting.
To Rick: Continued prayers are coming your way for that year to get shorter and shorter! She's your Superhero but with a car like that (and a fedora) you'll be the Secret Agent Man Good Guy Crime Fighter Action Star!
Man, that is exciting! Oh, I said that...