Saturday, August 20, 2005

WHY I DON'T PRAY IN CLASS

As you may know, I teach at an evangelical Christian university. It seems like a strange fit sometimes, what with my progressive ideologies and occasional snarky attitudes toward the religious right, but on the whole it's a pleasant experience. I don't mind being an enigma. In fact, I quite enjoy it sometimes. I recognize the danger of slipping into my own sanctimonious martyr complex, so I try to engage in regular self-examination and criticism. Valuing honesty over agendas works pretty well for me.


At the University, many of the faculty begin classes and meetings with prayer. Makes sense: Christian school, prayer, etc. I, on the other hand, do not begin classes with prayer. It's a college, not a church. After having my faith questioned by a student a year or so ago, when he challenged me on my class prayer platform, I wrote this essay that I distribute with my syllabi.


WHY I DON’T PRAY IN CLASS

Okay, so I don’t pray in class. This is a relief to some, a concern for others.

You might assume that I am opposed to praying in class. You’d be wrong. You can pray if you want to. I know some praying professors, and I completely support them. If they are compelled by the spirit to begin class with prayer, who am I to discourage, denigrate, or otherwise diminish them in their obedience to God? And it’s not like I’ve never prayed in class. I just don’t make a habit of it.

You might also assume that I am not the praying type. You’d be wrong again. Many mornings (but not as many as I should) at 6:30 a.m. I settle in and center down. I begin with a time of contemplative meditation, where I discipline myself to remove all distraction from my mind except the holy presence of God. I do that in complete stillness and silence for 15 minutes or so, until the spirit of Christ fully inhabits me. I offer my thanks, confess my sins, and ask for help. After that I join my family and my dog. We read scripture and pray together. Justice, the dog, is a canine mystic. She puts her head on her paws and usually lets out a gentle grunt, as though she is in touch with a deeper spirit than we silly humans.

It is rare for me to finish a time of prayer with dry eyes. Something about the truth and grace of it just gets to me. Sometimes it's hard to pull myself out of the world of the spirit and into the step and fetch of the here and now.

I have taught at the University for eight years, and I have seen hundreds of meetings and gatherings begin with prayer. Sometimes it strikes me as humble and genuine, but too often it is sort of like calling a meeting to order - like a pledge of allegiance or a national anthem.

I take this cue from Jesus’ teaching in the Gospel According to Matthew:

And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you. When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

I don’t pray in class because prayer shakes me, it shatters me, it breaks me into a thousand pieces, and puts me back together. It gets me lost and finds me. It tears me up and mends me. It’s like nudity: beautiful and grim, and rarely appropriate for public consumption. I know that every prayer doesn’t have to be so intimate and intense. I do pray in a “normal” way at times. But, I’m not a big fan of “normal.”

Now that I’ve told you far more than you ever wanted to know, you understand why I don’t pray in class. Feel free to disagree, and even criticize me if you wish; but if you do, I may ask you to join me at 6:30 in the morning.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A newspaper article hangs on my fridge. I believe it is there because it contains a photo of my roommate's father. . . the article is an editorial on prayer in the classroom. I think of you each time I see it as I recall your response (which is very close to the essay you posted here).

I often have trouble praying because the examples I've seen are the meeting opener and closer -- or the passionate praying "against" someone. In an attempt to escape that, I'm not always sure what I'm left with.

It encourages me to know there are those who have such a high vision of prayer. It invites a little of the mystery that the touching of the Divine holds.

Thank you for not compromising that for the sake of appearance.
-Jennifer

Beloved said...

I find prayer to be a peculiar practice, certainly mystical. I've been following Christ for about 12 years now, and the deeper i go into Him, the more peculiar prayer becomes. As my love for Him has grown--as i have understood more the nature and depth of His love for me--i have developed a greater consciousness of my intentions through prayer.

Too often, as Reacher and Jennifer have observed, prayer is nothing more than a self-preservative, self-actualizing petition. Not that petition is bad--it's necessary. But it seems to me that the gift is most often elevated above the giver in the case of the Great Giver of all good things.

One of the greatest challenges to my prayer life is "returning to the love i had at first." Sometimes i flat out don't love God. So, out of guilt, i try to "discipline" myself back into praying honestly and fervently. Anyone else been there? Of course there is some merit to the "practice" of prayer, that constant reminder that God is above our pitiful state of mind and heart and that He is unchanging. That is the beauty of liturgical prayer. But why do we always seem to falter to one extreme or the other, praying merely out of habit, or neglecting to pray out of an empty heart?

On the note of praying in our "secret places", i am thankful for yet another reminder that God sees our hearts in the midst of, and often in spite of, our words. I do find great strength and redemption in praying with other like-minded sisters and brothers of faith, however. It's almost depressing for me to walk into most church auditoriums (they're generally a far cry from sanctuaries) filled with Christians who seem utterly disconnected with each other and with God. Blank stares, groans over having to stand up and sit back down, singing under their breaths--passionless.

Where's that kind of passion--that brings us to tears, rejoicing, and trembling before the throne of Jesus such as Reacher has (thankfully) experienced--gone for most of us? Maybe we should ask ourselves if we've ever had a relationship like that with God in our own private lives. Sure, many Christians have had mountaintop experiences at conferences, camps and "revivals", but what about a consistent, daily peaceful, joyful assurance that Jesus promised us?

Thanks, Reacher, for refusing to let our most sacred medium of communication with God become a ritual that is mundane at best and prideful at worst.

skipstokes said...

That's some good stuff Reacher.

Anonymous said...

I used to censor my prayers. Kind of like the way we censor our "self" when dealing with the general public (or going to church). Can't let people see too much of the real me, otherwise what will they think? That's what I did with God sometimes. "Here's the edited version of me, God, bowed in praise and suplication, don't I look like a good girl?" There have been times, many times, when what I felt like saying to God wasn't very pretty or nice and I struggled with how disrespectful or unChristian that seemed.
When I remembered that he can see my heart regardless of my words, I realized he'd probably appreciate me being honest in my communication with him. So some days I scream my prayers. And some days I whisper them. But everyday I strive for honesty.
Thanks, Reacher, for not being an automatic pray-er.

Anonymous said...

Several years ago at our church our pastor noticed a man down front after the sermon. He stood there with his tattooed forearms stretched out and his long greacy hair covering his face. The pastor kept looking over to see if he was okay. Finally he approached the man and asked if he was okay.
"Yes sir," the man said. "I'm just havin' a no bullshit conversation with God."

I love that intensity!

I think that's why I have been so attracted to the Psalms. There is a rawness.

I'm not saying that we need or have to use the "bad words" when we speak with our Father, I'm just saying if it comes out and conveys the point, He'll get it.

Reacher, thank you for constantly challenging my to examine it all. You are a man after God's heart. I believe that.

Anonymous Scout said...

I like your post. It comes as a good reminder to me because I am now teaching at a Christian school and for the first time I have the opportunity to pray aloud in the classroom.

I think there is a time for ceremonial and group prayer. Jesus blessed food and taught how to pray and Paul wrote out prayers in the epistles. Unfortunately, it too often becomes a political statement, a time for grandstanding, or a habit.

One thing that has troubled me for a while, that I would like readers of this blog to comment on, is the act of "prayer walking." This occurs when groups of people walk around in packs and mumble prayers around a campus or neighborhood in order to "bless" it. The people that organize these events seem well meaning. I know people who do this and I have even participated a time or two, but it makes me uneasy. I think it too clearly violates Jesus' instructions to go pray in the closet.

What do you think? Have you done this? Do you approve of it?

Anonymous said...

Scream away, annie!

Beloved said...

C Neil,

Do you think your sentiment on prayer walking (with which i am also uncomfortable) may reflect a larger uncertainty many of us deal with, namely "What is the purpose of prayer?" And are there multiple "purposes" for prayer.

Obviously, Matthew 6:33-34 reflects the grand purpose, that God's will be done. But practically speaking, why do we pray when, where, how and for whom we pray? Throughout the Old Testament, we see that God responded differently to different people who often prayed for the same things, and we still see that today. In the Old Testament it sometimes appears that God's mind was changed by certain prayers of faithful individuals.

But is there some mysterious linkage to prayer and the "release of God's power" as our charismatic brothers and sisters believe? That has been the motivation behind the "prayer walks" i have been apart of--inviting God to display His power in the lives of people in homes, businesses, on the streets or at events. And i suppose that if it flows from a "Thy will be done" mindset, why not?

Prayer is still a mystery to me. I have yet to see any consistent results. Sometimes i see definite positive answers, but most of the time i'm left looking for answers in my everyday experiences, reading, and relationships.

Do i speak for anyone else?

Anonymous said...

cneil- I was part of a a worship team for two years for this big assembly of God youth group that required me to participate in things like "prayer walks" all the time. One thing I learned while being a part of this church (and this isn't meant as a blanket statement for all charasmatic churches, I'm sure, and I loooove my charasmatic brothas and sistas and have learned a lot from them), is that the basic policy on a plethora of various subjects is "Don't ask questions." Some cynical soul like me always has the tendency to let that little nuisance we call the intellect interfere with everyone else's spiritual experience. As far as "prayer walks," I couldn't help but feel like every time one was suggested, I was being asked to pretty much be in a parade. Through much deliberation and consideration of the nature of God, I eventually came to the conclusion that God can hear me just as well and cares just as much when i'm in my room praying with the door closed. Of course, I don't think there's anything wrong with praying anywhere. After all, we're supposed to pray "without ceasing," so if the only place we ever did it was is in private, we would all be hermits. Obviously what it comes down to (like most things) is what God can see in our hearts. I just don't think the purpose of prayer was ever to be a show for anyone, which is what it is often turned into.
~annie

CGrim said...

I went to Taylor U, although I can only remember once or twice when a prof prayed in class, usually the first class of the semester, as a blessing I suppose, or if we were going to be discussing something controversial or something... more like a prayer for discernment.

I think if it was a daily routine, like taking attendence or something like that, it would be uncomfortable... contrived...